Saturday, July 31, 2010

Saturday Evening Post



That's right. I'm still here. Blogging. Sister Becki, I have made it a couple of weeks, and I am still blogging. Didn't think I'd make it did you?
Ok...neither did I. But I have. Hooray for me.
Ok. That was satisfying. Wonder if I'll still be at it next Saturday evening. Well, anyway, here's my post. My Saturday evening post. Enjoy.

CHURCH CAMP
So I have already told you about our church camp, it's true. But I have only told you but a little. Above left is a picture of our group gathered together in the old gym. That's me in the gray shirt. Handsome, right? I know. Looking back, I only wish we would've thought to put spare shirst on the two or three who weren't wearing one. Oh, well. It looks great anyway. The light in that old building wasn't perfect for pictures, but the place is where we spent so much time and had so much of our fun. It really does have it's own special charm.

A STAFF WHO PRAYS TOGETHER

Here is a picture that may seem sort of random, but I thought it was a good one to sum up our camps. Every year, for as long as I can recall, our camp staff has been made up of people who pray. When things are good, they pray. When things are going sort of rough, or someone is sick, injured, or discouraged, they pray. It's the same thing from them no matter what. This pic was taken right at the end of our staff meeting on day one. Just seconds after the pic was taken the hole in the circle would be filled by the author of this blog.

WHY I KEEP GOING TO CAMP, YEAR AFTER YEAR


Joey Letcher. That's right, Joey Letcher. And Anthony Frisbee. And Vashti Watson. And Robert Vance. And the Newport boys and all their buddies they brought to camp all through the years. Then there's Cricket, Sarah, Vanessa, Richard (who was called Gilligan), Eric, Angel, Stephanie, Ryan, Daniel....there's my old buddy Wilson McMahon. Now there's a piece of work.There was this one kid who was very special to me, but who I've unfortunately lost contact with-my buddy Flea. Oh, and Puffy, Cookie, and Shagg.Many of these went to camp years ago and are grown. Some have families. Some serve God, some don't. A few are in TCOG today...a couple of them are even ministers. Most of them are at the very least, still among the living. With the exception of three, that I know of. Neither Roman Flinchum, David Cantrell,nor Josh Johnson are still with us. Roman was killed in an accident at work close to a decade ago. David and Josh died within months of each other, David in a terrible car accident; Josh due to some medical problems he had developed. I was VLB leader where Roman's family went to church way back in my younger days. David and Josh both come from families where my wife and I were pastor from 2003-2005, Raceland, KY. There's an empty place at camp now...at least for those of us who went to camp with them. I love those guys.
These are just a few of the names I could mention, dating back to 1994 when we started having camp as a region. There are countless more. Every one of them is the reason my wife and I pack up and go every year. That's why that picture of me and Joey Letcher made it to my blog. I was just sitting there playing music when he came up and started sort of teasing with me. Then he leaned in and gave me a big hug. I motioned to my wife to get a pic. It was a nice moment for me. There's why I keep going to camp. That's why we all keep doing it. Thank God for the reasons.


7 comments:

mwright71 said...

Bro. Donnie, I believe that at the heart of every staff member this year there was the earnest desire to see the campers get out of it what they needed. There were rough times when everyone seemed so tired that we couldn't continue but the bond between every member of our staff is what kept us going, second only to the desire toward the young people. Thank you for all the work you have put toward camp the past several years. I know from my own personal experience, the love and friendship you showed me when i was only about 15 years old is on of the things that has kept me going through the hard times. I love and appreciate you so much

Unknown said...

Have always loved camp. Even when leaving worn out for the drive home. I was glad to see all the staff we had this year and things seemed to go pretty well.

As a side note, how did I make it in all 4 pictures you posted on here? You must really love me huh?!

donaldestep2 said...

Well, I'll be. Brother Ryan...are you following me around?


Brother Matt...Thanks for the words, brother. I love you, buddy, and we're all real proud of you.


You too, Ryan.

Vicki Smith said...

Very nice post. Since I never read the OTHER Saturday Evening Post I'm hoping you'll keep this one going. It's more on my level.
I, too, have always loved Camp. I got sanctified at Camp when I was 11. I accepted my call to teach at Camp when I was 14. I've been on staff at at least one camp a year--sometimes 3 or 4--for the past 37 years. I've lost track of how many. I've served in pretty much any and every capacity. Camping is in my blood. I hope I never get too old. Somebody may have to push me in a wheel chair, but I hope I'll always have the desire to be at Camp.

Vicki Smith said...

Let me think . . . I've been in Camps or Retreats in Idaho, Utah, Washington, Colorado, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia/West Virginia, Pennsylvania and England. I can say I've been blessed in each and every one of them!
Back in 1993, after having been Senior Camp Director for Colorado for several years, I was skeptical about the prospects of having a "Family" Camp vs. Youth Camp, but having just separated from COGOP and not having a very large crowd to work with, but with a group of teens who were dying to have Camp, we gave it a try. I've been hooked ever since. I love the FEEL of a Family Camp. It seems so much more . . . I don't know . . . wholesome? We still had age appropriate classes and separate evening services for the children, but it was such a tremendous blessing to both parents and children for the whole family to be there. It drew the family closer together as a unit, while allowing all ages to really have fun and enjoy the company of their peers. Cabin devotions were conducted by each family head--just for their family. For some, it was their first experience in having family devotions. We provided the devotional material; it was a kick-start to them going home and having family devotions with their family. For those "extra" attendees, they joined the family they'd been invited by.
Sorry for the long comment. I guess I'm gearing up for the Director's Exchange at IYC, where we share all sorts of options and ideas with one another. I'll miss you being there! Maybe something will come up at the last minute and you'll be able to make it. BTW, "the last minute" is pretty much NOW. ;-)

Vicki Smith said...

I just remembered, I've also been to Retreats in Indiana, Kentucky and California way back in the COGOP.

cokelady said...

Boy, I hate to bust into the conversation between you and my Mom ;-) but I have to say SOMETHING. After all, I'm the one who rags on you all the time about being a horrible blogger and here you've been blogging faithfully and even addressed me directly... and I'm just now getting around to reading all of the posts I've missed. (It's been a crazy few weeks for us--is that an acceptable excuse???) You're doing GREAT! As for this post, I would share all of my feelings about Camp, but they've already been stated in all of the other comments here. So I'll just say, AMEN! :-)