Tuesday, December 23, 2008

3 A.M. Can't sleep...

Well, here I am, at 3 in the morning blogging. Goofy, huh? I laid down with Marsha about ten intending to get back up when she went to sleep to do a few Christmas related things. One must sneak, you know, to get it all done. Well, I fell asleep and just woke up. I'm not going to do any sneaking. Not now. I got time. Christmas won't be here for...wow, it's almost here, eh? How cool is that? I really love Christmas! I've been somewhat Christmasy, but today and yesterday it's really has hit me. The last couple of days, me and my baby girls went out twice to shop for mommy. Just awesome!! They are the coolest little people...can't even describe it. So funny, so insightful. Being with the two of them just makes things fun. It was especially fun because we were doing something for the person all three of us love the most...their mommy, my sweet little wife. It was a bit of a risk, I know. I knew it going in. I knew Haley, the older one, wouldn't give away a secret. But, the younger, Taylor...who knows with her? She may well tell her mommy what we got her for Christmas. We've had several very serious conversation about the importance of..who am I kidding? How serious and meaningful can that conversation be with a three year old? Good giref! She almost have something away at lunch today. We were sitting around together eating grilled cheese I made (oh, yeah, I make a great grilled cheese...it's tougher and more involved than it sounds...) and she first tells her mommy she won't say a thing, then turns around and lets half of something slip out! Then she looks at me with that little mischievous grin of hers...silly kid. What's she trying to do, ruin the whole balance of things? Man...
By the way, my wife spent her day doing something I think is great. She spent nearly twelve solid hours baking, and putting together Christmas gift baskets for our families. Money is a little tighter for us, like everyone, this year so she is giving something truly personal and from the heart this year. She has made loaf after loaf of sourdough, and Amish cinnamon bread; peanut butter rolss, peanut butter balls, chocolate covered pretzels, and some other goodies. She has really worked hard and the baskets look so pretty. I'm very proud of what she has done. She's the best.
Gotta run...getting a bit sleepy.

8 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

I love handmade, homemade gifts best of all. They're so much better than the glitzy, expensive non-personal store-bought stuff (except for when you get something expensive that's REALLY helpful for making MORE homemade stuff--like a KitchenAid mixer or a sewing maching, or something). ;-) The gift baskets sound really great and Im sure they're much appreciated. I know I would appreciate one!

donaldestep2 said...

It's funny you say that...I got Marsha a sewing machine for, I think Mother's day. A Kitchenaid mixer would be awesome, as well.

Kasey said...

I did quite a bit of baking this year too, really was fun. And a whole lot better than shopping for bought gifts!! I even made candles. :) Hope you had a great Christmas!!

donaldestep2 said...

Kasey!! Hope you had a happy Christmas, too! Say hi to everyone for me.

marshasblog said...

Hey I thought you were going to start posting more....you need to get in shape boy!! I love YOU!!!

Vicki Smith said...

Ya know, Sister Marsha, I was thinking the same thing. Brother Donnie isn't starting out too good in the new year; he's already fallen behind. Shame, shame, shame.

cokelady said...

I'M still waiting to hear if his sneaking paid off and if he surprised his wife and if they had a good Christmas and all manner of news from WEEKS ago that we still haven't heard about. You know, since he's going to start BLOGGING again. That is what he said, right???

donaldestep2 said...

You guys are so tough on me. I'll get right on it.