Tuesday, February 03, 2009

What a week

Man has the last week been hectic. Downright rough, really. Of course, the ice storm hit last Tuesday, followed by snow and more ice. More than 500, 000 people in Kentucky were without power for most of a week. I haven't heard the latest figure, but I know there are still thousands who have no electricity. Some have no water. I also know other states were hit hard. I don't pretend to believe that we were the only ones. My prayers have been and are for everyone affected by this storm.
Before I go any further, let me say this. (getting up on my soap-box). I have heard, seen, and read of people in other parts of the country who have scoffed at the notion that this storm was something to fear. We've been made light of in the mid-west and other places who have "real" winters. It has been stated that we are whining over this little storm...honestly. I have lived in Idaho, and Wisconsin. Both places can have pretty harsh winters. I saw several 20 plus inch snows in Wisconsin. Endured some harsh cold in both places. I would gladly take a 20 inch snow and let them have the 3-4 inches of ice that fell here. The destructive power is not the same. Snow is bad enough, but ice is by far the most destructive. Our road crews here have done a fantastic job here lately. But there is no real way to remedy the ice that falls on tree limbs, and power lines.
Anyways, none of the friends who read this blog have made those statements anyway, so I'm just venting, I suppose. anyhoooo...
In spite of all that, God has been good to us. We stayed warm enough, and had plenty to eat. By the end of the week my father-in-law was able to buy a generator, and we ran some lights and tv, and a space heater for the last couple of nights. It was so nice. My wife, and girls and I were able to spend a week camping out in the living room together, cuddling for warmth. We worked together and it made the thing so much more bearable. In fact we had some fun. A lot of laughs and sweet moments. The girls entertained each other without the aid of wii, or the tv. (Up to the point the generator arrived, at least). My wife's family live all around us on the farm here, and we all pitched in and looked after each other.My family also kept track of each other and looked after each other, even though we don't live as close by. It just feels good to be loved by your family. When they call or offer any kind of help...it just feels nice. I had some contact with some brothers and sisters around our region who were also enduring the same things as us. It made us not feel alone. Even my co-workers and I were calling and keeping check on one another. Folks you'd see out atthe station getting kerosene or other supplies were so friendly....There were definitely some blessings which came out of it all.
We're cleaning up now. I will try and post some pics soon. Our property is tore up! Trees and limbs and debris everywhere. I spent most of Sunday with the other guys on the farm here with chainsaws cutting up the limbs for Sister Wilcox to burn in her wood stove. We have a few piles of branches to burn in the gravel lot. Sometime during the course of things I managed to knock the running board off my truck. Oh, well.
Now things are getting back to normal. I even think we'll go ahead and try to have District Convention this weekend. We could all use a blessing.

3 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

I'll have to agree, Brother Donnie, there IS a difference between the snow storms/blizzards of the west and an ice storm. I encountered my first one when we were in Virginia. It's pretty scary. The sound of the tree limbs breaking sounds like gun shots and there's NO comparison to driving on snowy roads to trying to drive on a thick coat of ice! A true ice storm is to be treated with great respect, for sure. It can be deadly. I wouldn't make light of it. Having said that, I WILL make light of these wimps around here who go into a frenzied panic and start shutting down the schools and banks because a skiff of snow fell yesterday when it was 37 degrees. It never stuck to the roads and it was too warm for ice. Perhaps these folks have endured some REAL ice storms like you guys are experiencing so they're a little gun shy, but come on!!!

donaldestep2 said...

I remember the way it was in Cleveland. I lived there in 7th and part of 8th grade. School would be called off for almost nothing. Kentucky was more like that years ago. When I moved to Wisconsin in High School, I was amazed that we were going to school with two or three inches of snow on the ground. We would have major blizzards up there and as soon as the worst of the snow had fallen and the plows had time to clear up, we went on to school. I feel very fortunate to have learned to drive in a place like that. I know how to handle snow and ice pretty well as a result. I think it has to do with what you are accustomed to, and equipped for. Here we are well equipped for the winters now. One of the problems that hinders our school systems is the issue of sending the school buses into some of the rural areas where the roads can be quite hazardous even when the highways and towns are relatively clear.

cokelady said...

Hhmmm. I'm pretty sure I'm one of the loudest scoffers at the "southern weenies" who wimper about a few flakes falling. Of course, I dearly love snow and winter weather of all kinds. But that's probably because I've never experienced anything like an ice storm! I can't imagine being without power and hot water for that long. Almost like camping, but you're not mentally prepped to consider it "fun," right?! I'm glad things are getting better for all of you over there. Nasty stuff!