Monday, April 13, 2009

Rainy Monday

So it's a rainy Monday in old Kentucky. Oddly enough, I don't get all gloomy when it rains like a lot of people do. Even when working out doors, I actually like to work in a light, steady rain. I don't know why, that's just the way I've always been. i have a bit of a slight melancholy turn to my personality anyway, so maybe the rain just suits me. Not that I never get tired of it, but a few days here and there is just fine. Now, thunderstorms on the other hand are a whole different story. I DO NOT enjoy thunderstorms. All the noise! Good grief, that really loud, sudden thunder really tweaks my nerves. Then there's the lightning. I don't trust electricity anyway, and that much of it coming from the sky, seemingly at random...ugh-none for me, thanks. I'll be having the nice, calm light rain. I don't particularly like seeing things destroyed, either, so that's another reason to dislike major storms. I guess for all my boisterousness and general noisiness, I'm actually just sort of a calm guy. I like calm things.
Having siad that, as contradictory as it sounds, I also love it when my girls,and Marsha and I can just let loose and get rowdy. Our house is a rather rowdy place. We jump, holler, wrestle, dance, and laugh 'til we can berley go on. My wife, and both daughters have these amazingly deep, loud, from the gut laughs that I never get tired of hearing. As time goes on, and they have heard all my jokes, and seen all my best antics, I am forced to continually find more and more goofy things to do and say to get those wonderful, happy noises to come out of them. It's an addiction. I cannot go very long at all without hearing it.
(took a break for a couple of hours to do other things)
Had a couple of good conversations by phone today. One with Brother John Talley, a member of TCOG at E'town. I was his pastor for three years, poor guy, and he is one of my closest friends. Brother John is the builder who is heading up the effort to finish our General Headquarters building in Charleston, TN. He informed me that things are going well, and gave me some updates on the progress. I may go down there with him for a couple days later this week. It would be nice to travel with my old friend and get to see some others. I haven't seen my old buddy Bishop Ard for a while. I really miss that guy. Maybe I could sit with him for a while and remind him how good a pastor I was to him when he was our overseer! Ha Ha. Some time I will share some funny Brother Ard stories on here...he is one of my favorite "funny story" subjects. Brother Talley also told me things were great at E'town yesterday for Easter sevices.
Later on I spoke with Brother James Hargraves, our pastor in Greenup,KY, and his wife Sister Barbara. He shared how great their services were. They had 31 in Sunday School! COnsidering they were operating with no pastor just a couple of short months ago, this is a great blessing! Thank God! Brother Shane Wilcox told me they had 70 in Sunday School, and 85 in morning worship at Sturgis, KY!! Praise God! I need to cal Brother Hamilton in Somerset to get an update from him. All these churches, except for Sturgis, are in my district. I am very excited for what God is doing!Please pray for us! We also had a great time in Winchester yesterday. God blessed us with 17 in Sunday School, and even my dad was there! God is so good!

3 comments:

~Amy said...

Anthony likes rain, too. I don't know what's wrong with you two. Rain creates mud, which gets on a person's shoes, which gets tracked into the house. I like a nice, sunny day myself. No mud. ;-)

Glad to hear services went well in the district. God's working all over the church. So happy to hear it.

I would LOVE to hear funny Brother Ard stories. He and I have a "pester each other" relationship so ANYTHING I can pester him with next time I see him would be perfect. Anthony and I really enjoyed having him as our pastor at Zion Hill when we first joined the church. He's a good guy. Tell him we said hi if you get a chance.

Vicki Smith said...

Actually, I like the rain, too. I don't especially like being IN it, but I like a nice rainy day now and then. There's something so cozy about being inside a cozy house and looking out at the rain falling. However, people who have been out in the rain-induced mud are not welcome in my house until they've removed their shoes. ;-)
We'd love to see you, Brother Donnie, if you come to Cleveland. And since Brother Ard is in Africa I guess you'll have to spend your free time with us instead. We'll listen to your funny Brother Ard stories. Brother Smith, especially, loves to pick at Brother Ard.

donaldestep2 said...

Unfortunately, it looks like I won't be making it to Cleveland this week. I'm kinda bummed about it. There's just too much going on aroiund the house, plus my wife's van is in the shop, and so on. Maybe next week if Bro Johgn comes, I can make it with him. I'd like to see you folks, and everyone else.