Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Piano

So I've been a musician for nearly 20 years. I started playing drums one day almost on a whim. Doug Hogsten was preaching a revival at the church I was attending, Church of God of Prophecy in Versailles, KY. I was probably fourteen. After church one night, Brother Doug was playing the piano in that old Jerry Lee Lewis style that he loves. I believe he was doing his rendition of "Great Balls of Fire", called "Holy Ghost Fire." A couple of different guys tried to keep up on the drums, but no one really knew how. I thought "Hmmm...Why not?" So I sat down and picked up the sticks, and POW! I was keeping beat. Didn't even know I could! It was a bit choppy, and not at all great sounding, but it was obvious I might have some ability. Within a couple of weeks I was playing in church. I played for a travelling"weekend warrior" southern Gospel group for a couple of years. I've played a lot and was at one time pretty good. Later on I started playing guitar about the same way, then on to the bass guitar. My family is full of musicians on both sides. I'm no prodigy, but I can play a little and sing along or provide music for song service. But here I am at thirty four trying to learn the piano. I have four or five cousins, three aunts, at least one uncle, plus my dad who are all quite good. So it stands to reason that I might be able to play, right? WRONG. This thing is whipping me! It is the hardest thing I've tried to learn! But I'll figure it out...I think.

1 comment:

Vicki Smith said...

You think you're a late bloomer trying to learn an instrument at 34? Brother Smith went out and bought a guitar TODAY! He's 55 and has decided to sit around a strum a guitar would be relaxing. As he was strumming tonight I kept asking if he was relaxed yet. ;-)