Friday, April 17, 2009

New Job?

So, a friend of mine who used to be my boss has been trying to get me to come to work at his new employer. He was my supervisor at Stanley Steemer before they (wrongly) let him go last summer in a corporate shake-up/housecleaning. Well, after these several weeks off following my surgery, I have come to some conclusions. I like Stanley Steemer. The company has been good to me personally. They are as flexible as they can be in many situations with my scheduling. This doesn't mean I get a lot of time off, or even every request, but they often allow me to manipulate my day.s off to land on a certain date, when possible. They have treated me well, and put a lot of effort into my training. There is a possibility of a pretty good future wuth the company. My boss thinks I could become a good corporate "travelling" trainer, with my ability to handle public speaking and to communicate ideas. I am close to a promotion. Lots of good things. But here's the problem. For nine months of the year, I work alot. I mean it. A LOT. Sometimes fifty five to sixty hours a week, often six days a week. I work until 6 to eight most evenings during the summer and fall. And even though they are as flexible as they can be, often they simply can't be. I think they sincerely try. But as mentioned before, I have had to turn down several preaching/ministry opportunities just in the last month. Six, I think, to be exact. I am starting to get a lot of offers to go and preach, like I used to. It feels great, but then when I realize I can't go, it feels horrible. I have asked God before to give me a different job that wiil offer more freedom to work my local church, raise my family/enjoy wife, tend to my district and regional church responsibilities, and even go and preach some revivals, and camps when called. It seems impossible...BUT, my former boss called me last week. It seems there may be an opening after all at his new place of employment. Of the two possibilities there, one wouldn't make much financial sense. The other would be very good. A good move. I have been praying and trying to re-learn to leave it in God's hands. He has been working with me and teaching me a lot of lessons lately, almost as if He is getting me ready for something. I feel He is in this situation. Please, friends, help me pray for His will. There would be some sacrifices involved, financial and otherwise, but it would involve a schedule that would enable me to be a more active pastor, Husband,, Father, District Overseer. It would be a great thing...IF it is Gods will. If it is not His will, I don't want it. Help me pray, and may God's will be done.

3 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

I'll definitely be praying for your decision. God's ways don't always make sense - - oome to think of it, His ways generally DON'T make sense to us, but His ways are BEST. I'll be praying you're able to discern what HIS way is.

donaldestep2 said...

Thanks for the prayers. I think I can se what He is leading me to do, but I don't want to jump to my own conclusion. God help me, please!

~Amy said...

His sheep know His voice.

Ya'll will make the right decision. We'll be praying.