Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Estep's Family Recipe Barbeque Sauce

Friday and Saturday I worked to put together the first batch of my own family recipe for Barbeque sauce. It took me the better part of two days to research recipes and discover what are the main ingredients to use in such a sauce.I combined several recipes, dropping some ingredients, and adding some from each one to sort of "invent" my own base to start from. Then the fun began! I dug out different spices, and other things and started to experiment. What I came up with after several hours of putting it together and cooking the sauce, was a pretty good sauce. Hot AND sweet. The heat doesn't slap you in the face, but sort of creeps up on you. the sweet is right up front, but not too sweet. A pretty good mix, actually. I fixed up some pulled pork from a huge shoulder roast. Since I don't have a smoker, I roasted it in a big pressure cooker. Then reheated it and heated some sauce, letting each person add the sauce according to their taste. I was surprised that the very first batch was as good as it was. My wife and my mom were both pretty impressed. And it seems to get better after spending several hours in the fridge and being heated up again.

Since the Barbeque experiment, I have been in the kitchen, experimenting a lot. I am planning to make homemade buttermilk pancakes for breakfast tomorrow morning. Along with that, inspired by Christy Wilcox, I have decided to try a recipe found online at www.allrecipes.com for homemade buttermilk syrup. Sounds soooo yummy. My wife is going to pick up some buttermilk and a couple of other things for me while she is out with her mom this afternoon. I can't wait. The girls start school tomorrow, and I am making them a special breakfast that will be thoroughly homemade by their daddy. I should probably have Marsha talke pictures,

I went to the doc today for my followup appointment after surgery. He said it looks good but doesn't want me going back to work for several more weeks. He has mentioned several times about my size and the potential for re-injury. he is being really cautious, and I am too. I DO NOT want to go through another surgery like that one. So I'm off a while longer. It's nice, as I have had so much time with Marsha and the girls. I've had a ton of time to rest and experiment in the kitchen. I've really enjoyed spending more time studying the Word and praying. So, I won't complain about more of that.

5 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

I'm not sure how I'd feel about my husband in the kitchen. He always says he's more of "a dining room man." ;-) I wouldn't mind him COOKING, but if I'm going to do the clean up, I want to be the one making the messes and I just really can't imagine him CLEANING his kitchen messes. Okay, so I can't imagine him cooking either. --Men are typically much more adventurous and courageous than women experimenting in the kitchen. Congratulations on your personal family recipe. You DID write it all down, didn't you? Or did you just "dump"?

donaldestep2 said...

I understand. I know a lot of men who I wonder if they could make themselves a sandwich. HAHA! I'm certain Bro Smith could handle that, but there are some that I wonder about. I got my interest in cooking and experimental nature from my dad. He is that way. I have to confess that I am a bit of a "dumper" when it comes to ingredients. But I have the basics written down because I based the core ingredients on a sauce recipe from the internet. I know which ingredients I dropped, and I have a pretty good knack for remembering things and tatsing what is missing. It's the way I have made chili for years. In the early years my chili was never just the same twice. HA! But now, it pretty much comes out just like I like it every time. I will probably start keeping better record with the BBQ, as I want it to become a true "family" recipe. I figure since I don't have any money, I need something for my kids to inherit someday, right? lol.
This morning I made the buttermilk pancakes from a recipe a lady shared that came from her mother. Apparently it is very scandanavian. heh heh. Whatever difference that makes. It was very Cherokee/Dutch/Irish today. HAHA..
The buttermilk syrup I made was rally good. Definitely a keeper for the recipe box.

Vicki Smith said...

Buttermilk syrup. Never heard of such a thing. But I'd be willing to give it a try.
--I notice you didn't mention any reference to you CLEANING UP all your kitchen experiments. ;-) A man isn't TRULY good in the kitchen unless he cleans up after himself.

donaldestep2 said...

ACTUALLY, I didn't want to brag, but I have been cleaning up. I am working to master an art my dear old dad has worked on for years. The guy can cook a huge meal, and by the time the food hits the table, all the cookware, etc is clean. He cleans it as he goes. It's quite amazing, really. lol. I'm working to perfect that, too. It minimizes the cleanup afterward.

cokelady said...

Guys who have the knack for cooking always amaze me. I didn't grow up around any of them (my Dad's most adventuresome effort is a scrambled egg sandwich), but James is that way. I can't just start dumping stuff into a pot and have any expectation that it will be edible--I think it's so cool that you can! And a family recipe?! NEAT. :-)